Friday, December 15, 2017

Things we love about Turkish Culture

   I wanted to start keeping just little posts about things that happen in our day. I am not a writer and I’m not creative so sorry if this is boring or grammatically wrong :) I want to focus on some of the redeeming qualities about this culture. Yes there are things that are hard and difficult about living here but I’m wanting to share the good things.   




   Today as I pushed our stroller down the road, we passed the bagel guy on the corner. About once a week we go there and grab a bagel on our way to drop Gracie off at school. Judson was looking at the bagels while I was telling him to come get in the stroller. I thought the bagel guy was thinking we wanted to buy a bagel so I was smiling and trying to say no thank you. Instead the guy smiled back and just gave Judson the bagel for free. It was a very sweet jester and very typical of this culture. I don't know how many free things my kids have received from strangers here. (To ease some minds :) we have a rule that if a stranger gives our kids things, our kids just ask us first)


   This same trip coming home with all the kids, I was stopped two times with people congratulating me for having three kids. Most families here have one child or if they do have two, they are at least four to five years apart. So we usually stand out and people stop us a lot, but this allows for more opportunities :) I also had a few people stop and say some "maşallah's" for the kids which means: May God preserve him/her from evil. Again, this is not out of the ordinary :) the people and culture here are so friendly, especially towards children. Last thing about our walk from school today - There was SO much traffic that we couldn’t cross the road to get to Gracie’s school. A motorcyclist swooped in and blocked on coming traffic and waved us on so we could finally pass. I don’t know if I just looked really desperate with my kids haha but either way, I love how people really watch out for others here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment